I got up pretty
early, around 6:15 or so, followed shortly by Ray. We ended up making some pancakes and eggs
while the ladies slept in. Erin definitely deserved to sleep in, as today is her
birthday. And, I guess Mary was there
too!
There was a bit of
a breeze in our harbor early in the morning, which made me wonder what it was
going to be like out in the strait. Most
crossings are lumpy at best, and often downright wet. The weather channel gave sort of a mixed
message, claiming strong wind warnings in Georgia
Strait north of Nanaimo ,
while at the same time reporting the wind speed at the Ballenas Islands
at 3 knots. We were all ready to go
somewhere by 10 o’clock, so we raised anchor and headed out.
Coming out of
Pender the water was pretty smooth, but we had an hour or so to cruise before
we’d actually be out in the Georgia
Strait . We could see quite a few boats in the
distance – in fact area Whiskey Golf, the torpedo test range and the shortest route. They are usually not active on Sunday, and I could see some boats a few miles out that would be the first to get the visit from the helicopter if it were. As we approached the WG boundary most of those boats had disappeared, so I called Winchelsea Control to confirm their status, and they reported back that there was indeed no activity scheduled for today.
This turned out to
be one of the smoothest crossings we’ve ever experienced, a great birthday
present for Erin and all of us. We had
the front windshield open all the way, with just a very gentle breeze coming
through. At one point we spotted a large
yacht, and by large I mean at least 125 feet, cruising north up the strait, and
we could see its wake trailing behind literally for miles. We eventually encountered that wake when the
yacht was 6 or 7 miles to our north. By
then it was no longer cresting, just some big rollers – and that was the
roughest water we encountered all the way across.
We cruised right
on in to Departure Bay and down the Newcastle Island Passage into the Nanaimo Harbor .
Instead of going over to the Port
of Nanaimo , we turned towards Newcastle Island , where there are mooring buoys
and a nice dock that’s part of the park that encompasses the entire
island. From a distance it appeared as
though there was no space at the dock, but that was because everyone tends to
tie to the outermost position on the dock, leaving the inside spots open. We took a spot ahead of a sailboat, adjacent
to the passenger ferry dock. An hour
later the sailboat behind us left, and we moved the Potentate back to the end
of the dock so we too could leave unencumbered when we wanted to, and also run
our
I could go on at
some length here about the park amenities, passenger ferries and so forth, but
I see I already did that back in July.
Check out the post from July 11th for the Newcastle Island
spiel.
We all went for a
walk on the island later in the afternoon, and stopped in at the deli for ice
cream cones. We wandered over to the
pulp stone machine display before ambling back to the boat. We’ll spend the night here, and maybe
tomorrow too. It’s a nice spot and the
moorage fee is pretty reasonable. There
is no power at the dock, but we can make our own.
When we first
arrived there was some sort of festival going on at the park across the way,
with apparently several rock bands providing the entertainment. They were very well amplified, as at the dock
here across the bay, over a half mile away, the sound was close to
overwhelming. They were still well
within range during our walk to the far side of Newcastle Island . Some of the groups weren’t that bad, but they
saved the worst for last as the sun went down and a bit beyond. The vocalist just couldn’t sing, and
compensated by yelling into the mike.
I could not ask for a more
special birthday than I’ve had today. Being
with Loren, weeks of cruising adventures, enjoying the beauty of Newcastle Island with Loren, mom and dad is something
I will always treasure – a perfect birthday gift.
Sounds like a blessed birthday! Enjoy the journey! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Erin,
ReplyDeleteWere the skies really that blue? I liked the description of the pounding rain flattening the water. Easy to visualize.