Early this morning
the wind finally stopped blowing and we were in mirror smooth water here in the
bay. It was also pretty cold, and Erin got to hear our new furnace operate for the first
time. It was nice and quiet and took the
morning chill off in short order. The
respite from the wind didn’t last very long, though, as it started in again
while we were having a breakfast of blueberry muffins, sausage and scrambled
eggs.
As we were
cruising through Retreat Passage yesterday, just before getting here, the wind
managed to loosen the line to our Alaska
flag on the mast. It was still hanging
on by one string, with the other flapping in the wind. Erin
unzipped the window above our windshield and managed to reach out and snare the
wayward string and secure it. I was
going to fix it yesterday when the wind died down, but it never did. I thought I’d better get up on the salon roof
this morning and re-tie it before it really started blowing again.
We lazed away the rest
of the morning reading, and then decided to take a dinghy ride around the
bay. The wind was blowing somewhat
moderately by then, but the gusts were only up to 15 mph. I started the generator – we figured we might
as well take advantage of our absence to load some extra amps into the house
batteries without listening to it.
Most of the boats
in our anchorage left, either in the morning, or while we were out in the
dinghy. Many of them were sailboats, and
this is definitely a sailing type of day.
The harbor wasn’t empty for very long, though, as some others came
in. One of them, a large cruiser,
anchored in front of us. When we got
back to the boat we saw that it was the Tuzi, the 65’ Ocean Alexander that was
rafted to us at Lagoon Cove. They’re the
ones who plan on cruising home to Australia next year.
As the afternoon
wore on the winds increased up to a steady 20 mph here in our anchorage with
gusts to over 27 mph. At one point I saw
the Tuzi powered up fairly close to us and it appeared that he was
leaving. But, I think he had dragged his
anchor, as he went forward further ahead of us into the back bay and reset
it. We’re holding steady but I did go
out on deck and run out another 50 feet of chain. A little later we noticed a sailboat that had
been at anchor also repositioning, but I think he was tucking in behind the
small islet in here to get out of some of the wind. Although our once smooth mirror-like water is
now sporting some whitecaps, we are riding smoothly and having a quiet
evening. It was a good day to not go
anywhere.
| repairing the mast flag lines |
No comments:
Post a Comment