We had some rain
during the middle of the night, and then some more this morning. Every so often it would like clearing up, but
then more rain would come. Erin wanted to do some more browsing of the local shops,
and it wasn’t a hard decision to just stick around for another day.
After a breakfast
of bear claws Erin picked up from the local
bakery yesterday, along with eggs for Ray and me, we all went out on an
excursion into town. With our stay
extended for a day, I started the generator to build up our amps while we were
out and about. We strolled along the
promenade that is under construction, and watched as a welder hanging in a
basket from a crane added some length to one of the new steel pilings that are
being pounded in along the shoreline.
It’ll be a nice addition to the town when it’s finished.
Erin and Mary
headed off to some foo foo shops, while Ray and I paid a visit to Nasty Jack’s,
an antique store with some neat stuff scattered throughout. We had fun browsing through ancient Life
magazines, brothel tokens from various ranches in Nevada , old kitchen appliances, jukeboxes,
old toys and other items of interest. We
weren’t big time spenders, but Ray did acquire some magnets, four for a
dollar. After a brief visit to the Wood
Store at the other end of town, where we perused some fine woodworking, we
headed back to the boat and a rendezvous with the ladies. It was lunchtime, and we all headed to the La
Conner Tavern to sample their fares.
Thanks, Ray, for treating!! While
dining on fish and chips, French dip and a burrito, we saw the Willow-B-Gee
cruise by. That’s one of our neighbor
boats at our moorage in Lake
Union , a 1928 bridge deck
cruiser. They were on their way north,
no doubt to enjoy the relative solitude that happens after Labor Day when
school is in session and most boating families have returned home.
We had a few more
rain showers in the afternoon, but for the most part the day cleared up very
nicely and at 6:00pm now it’s sunny and warm, around 68 degrees outside.
We enjoyed a
pleasant evening, finishing off a game of dominoes that we had started several
days ago. I think that tomorrow we’ll
definitely be going for a cruise.
La Conner is one of my favorite places to
spend a day to browse, and sometimes pick up non essential fun stuff, so I
enjoyed spending an entire day to walk around the stores with mom. What I enjoy about the stores are that most if not all are locally owned, and the owners are usually working and enjoy
spending time chatting with you without pressuring you to buy. During the recession we saw several of the
stores close, it’s good to see that some of the stores fronts are now occupied
with new owners. Mom and I enjoyed one
of the new stores, Maison de Kristine (www.maisondekristine.com). We really enjoyed getting to know the proprietor
Kristine Hasslinger, and one of the local artist who brings in some paintings
which she sells in the store. Kristine
and her husband are boaters. They’ve
never gone further north than the Gulf islands, so after sharing some of our
current and past travels she’s interested in learning more about it, so I now
have another reason for coming back to La Conner sooner rather than later!
It’s hard to think that our summer adventure
is ending, but now I’m looking forward to going through the several thousand
pictures (4,000+) to find the best for some paintings; I know there are a several
that I want to do. While I brought my
paints with me I only played with them a few times.
No comments:
Post a Comment